Sunday 24 July 2011

Music Or Die: An Introduction

Never let it be said that music isn't emotive. There are just those songs and albums that you either so strongly associate with a memory or are so affecting of their own merit that you can't help but be moved by them when you hear them. I think it would be safe to say that one of the greatest powers of music is to communicate something beyond the restrictions of words and verbal language.
With that in mind, I thought it might be an interesting exercise to examine some of my best loved music and attempt to articulate why it means so much to me. I'm not going to lie, much of this idea has been copped from reading Nick Hornby's rather fantastic 31 Songs and, whilst I'm approaching this slightly differently to him, I do love the rather personal insight this kind of analysis of music can give a reader. I have a sneaking suspicion that anything I write of this nature might just translate in to a gushing and lengthy journal of some sort, which is not entirely the intention, but maybe that will just give a further explanation of how I approach music. Or maybe it will be a boring read, only time will tell!
These posts will be nonsensically labelled 'Music Or Die' after this absolutely ridiculous, adolescent screech of a track off one of Andrew W.K.'s early EPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment